Log out
Do you really want to logout ?
Ahram online
.
Hollywood stars condemn US-Israel war on Iran, send solidarity message to Palestine at Oscars
Calls for a ceasefire in Gaza and condemnation of the US-Israeli war on Iran featured at the Academy Awards, as several artists used Hollywood’s biggest night to demand justice for Palestinians and denounce US-Israeli schemes for regime change in Iran.
The presence of protest pins at the Academy Awards was smaller than at last month's Grammys. Still, those who wore them used Sunday’s red carpet to denounce the US-Israeli military campaigns, call for a real ceasefire in Gaza, and demand justice for Palestinians, while warning against the escalating attacks on Iran and their toll on innocent civilians.
"No to war and free Palestine," actor Javier Bardem said onstage before presenting the best international feature film award. The 57-year-old Spanish actor wore a patch reading "No a la Guerra" (No to War) alongside a badge supporting Palestine.
Speaking to reporters on the red carpet, Bardem drew a direct parallel between past and current US interventions and foreign attempts at regime change.
"I'm wearing a pin that I used in 2003 with the Iraq war," he said, "which was an illegal war. And we are here, 23 years after, with another illegal war [led] by Trump and Netanyahu, and creating a lot of damage and innocent people being killed and bombed."
He added that his second badge represents a "Palestine symbol of resistance." The pin depicts Handala, a character created in 1969 by Palestinian cartoonist Naji al-Ali.
Would you like to receive Push Notifications?
Don't miss latest Egyptian and international news